See all articles
By : Eleonore, patient and founder of the Lymphosport association
Posted 1 month ago
WHY DO A LITTLE GYM ROUTINE IN THE MORNING?
“Since my disease, a few painful spots in my body persisted and I lost some flexibility and mobility in my leg.
I realised that my body has become a ‘diesel’ and that it took some time for it to ‘start working’ in the morning.
My joints, tendons, and muscles were stiffer, which could lead to worse pain during the day.
Thanks to my physiotherapist, who showed me some exercises, I simply committed five minutes daily in the morning for a little muscle and joint awakening. Since then, I feel much better during the day !”
Moving your body is a huge part of healing. When you stretch, you breathe, not just by filling your lungs with air, but with your whole body; promoting better mobility, comfortable stillness and healing. Contrary to popular belief, people living with Asthma can participate in physical activities and those who exercise regularly tend to use their emergency reliever less often.
Muscle stimulation strengthens the body and opens the airways (as long as you adapt the right activity for you).
What is muscle awakening?
It is a light exercise routine that mobilizes your joints, accelerates circulation and wakes up the body as a whole.
When stretching, muscles are spread with traction, and, during mobility exercises, you provide nutrients to the cartilage. Those two types of exercises promote flexibility and better musculoskeletal health.
How to do it?
Answer: A few regular mobility exercises, especially stretching. You can also practice some yoga postures.
All these exercises should be done while being mindful of your own limits and health state.
If you feel any pain, stop immediately.
Every exercise should be repeated about 5 times.
➡️ When lying down
- Take the time to take deep breaths (inhale and exhale) while stretching out your arms and legs with the top of the head at the top of your bed for a full body stretch.
- Then, gather your knees to your chest and plunge your chin into your neck to stretch out your back.
➡️ When sitting on a bed or a chair
- Do some wrist rotations.
- Bring your forearms to your shoulders a few times.
- Do some ankle rotations while pressing your toes to the floor.
- Try to stretch by slowly reaching your thighs with your chest, while inhaling with low shoulders, chin inwards and keeping your back nice and flat.
➡️ When standing up
- Do a little walk on the spot.
- Bend your legs and rotate your knees while keeping them tight!
- With straight legs, rotate your shoulders from front to back then back to front.
- Rotate your head a few times: keep your chin inwards.
There are an infinite number of little exercises. If you are searching for videos, here are a few that I would recommend; they are made by physiotherapists and published on Youtube:
What are the benefits?
Moving when making up will help you start your day fully present and functional. The first five minutes can be hard, but then, the body starts activating: optimizing breathing, circulation, and muscle tone. After a 10 minute session (at least, to 30 minutes for others) you should feel an overall improvement of your well-being.
Some movements will also help you release the happiness hormones: serotonin and dopamine.
- Put on your favorite music and open the window. It will help you wake up and improve your mood.
- Try to associate a breathing cycle that is slow and deep, at every movement and exercise.
If you are able to do this little gym routine every morning. It will help your state of mind which will accompany your day and prepare you better for the tasks and responsibilities such as your medical check-ups!
Take care of yourself